Leucas cephalotus Linn – Ayurvedic Herb
According to Abhidhana ratnamala
- Two varieties
According to Raja narahari
- Drona – Lucas aspera
- Mahadrona – L. Cephalotus
- Another species – L. indica
- Plihari vati
- Gorocanadi vati
- Sahacharadi taila
Rasa: katu, lavana, Madhura.
Guna: Guru, Ruksha, Theekshna
- Its Panchanga contains B-sisstesterol, flavinol, Glycoside.
- Flowers contain an essential oil, A bitter principle seeds a contain a fixed oil , caryophyllene, oxide, 26.56% Gama- Fenchene 12.02%, Alpha- cordional 2.13% , 1-hepten 3-01, 6.53%, menthol 6.30%, deca hydro naphthalene 5.15%, and trans –caryophyllene 4.05%.
- Labdane, Noraladane, laballenic acid lauric acid, glutaric acid, Adipic acid , tridecanoic acid.
- Vata prashamana
- Udara shoola
- Shira shoola
Vishamajvara– Fresh juice of dronapuspi and tulasi are useful. [Sharangadhara Samhita madhyamakhanda]
Kaamala: Anjana with the juice of dronapuspi useful. [Gadanigraha].
Netrarogani: dronapuspi juice is mixed with rice water and used orally as well as topically. [G.N]
Pittajavikara : Hima prepared by sariva, rasani, guduchi, rakthachandana and dronapuspi. [Siddhayogasangraha]
Paandu : Hima prepared by dronapuspi and padmaka, sariva drugs are useful. [Siddhayogasangraha]
PHARMACO THERAPEUTIC ACTION AND USES
Lecus cephalotes has been reported to exert hepatoprotective action in carbon tetra chloride induced hepatotoxicity in animals.
Juice of it has been reported to act as an antibilious in herbal therapy for jaundice
It has shown positive test in filariesis
The whole plant powder in the proportion of 70% in the herbal composition is patented to cure epileptic convulsions and cerebral function disorders.
It is also having the properties of antipyretic, stimulant , expectorant, aperients , diaphoretic, insecticidal, emmenagogue, and antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti diabetic.
They are useful in colic, dyspepsia arthralgia.
- Plant decoction is used in the treatment of malarial fever .
- The leaves juice is used topically in psoriasis, skin eruption , and scabies and internally for the treatment of urinary complaints.
- The flowers are administered in the form of syrup or with honey for cough and cold.
- The dried inflorescences are smoked and the smoke exhaled through the nose to treat nose bleeds.
- Dried leaves along with tobacco (1:3) are smoked to treat bleeding as well as itching piles and fresh leaves eaten as a potent herb.
Cultivated fields as a weed , especially after a period of rain . It is collected for use as a leafy vegetable in rural areas . it is cultivated itself for its medicinal uses . And really available in market.
Leucas cephalotes a common ethanomedicinal plant’s used by folklore of tirupathi andrapradesh for fever and urinary tract infection. Organic extracts hexane and methanolic extracts showed prominent antibacterial activity .
IN VITRO ANTHELMINTIC ACTIVITY
It is mild stimulant diaphoretic and used for fever
The overall study showed that dronapushpi decoction was beneficial to naveen (new) amavata.
The claim of folk ore amavata probably more beneficial if used with suitable vedanasthapana (analgesic) drugs