It is a perennial shrub and the flowers are Yellow color. It is cultivated for cotton in the black clay soil.
Both Charaka and Susrutha have highlighted the Vatahara property of Karpasa, the term Karpasi delineated by Brhat trayi appears to the either thespesia lampos Dalz & Gibs or Hibiscus cancellatus Roxb.
Gossypium herbaceum linn known as Karpasa belongs to the family Malvaceae is used in Ayurveda to treat various disease and for processing various formulation in Rasashastra and Bhaishajya Kalpana in the present study transverse section of fresh roots of Karpasa showed Cortex with pericycle fibres prismatic crystals of calcium oxalate and starch grains Vascular handle shows the phloem above the Xylem. Xylem radially arranged with biseriater to multiseriate medullary rays presence of lysigenous cavity in the medullary ray is a special characters the physic – chemical parameters like pH of Karpasa ract (KR) was 7.2 the loss on drying was 6.47%w/w and the alcohol soluble extractive was 8.80%ww. TLC profile of Karpasa root showed Rf 0.04 & 0.50 at 254 nm frequency and at 366m respectively.
- Gossypium herbaceum linn.
- Family:- Malvaceae
- Kula:- Karpasa Kula
English : Cotton plant
Hindi : Kapas
Kannada : Hatti
Malayalam : Panji
Tamil : Parathi
Telugu : Karpasimu
Gujarathi : Kapas vina
Punjab : Kapas
कार्पासी : कल्वय्त्था समाच्जादनं
आचछादनफला : आचछादवनं वस्रं फलाद्स्य
गुणासु : गुणात तन्तुन सुते
तुण्डीकेरी : तुण्ड वदाध्मानं फलमस्य
वटद: : वाटम् वस्रं ददाति
वदरी : बदर सद्रुश फलत्वात
- Charaka : Bramhaniya
- Susrutha : Vatasamsamana
Rasa: – Katu (Root, Bark – Kashaya)
Guna: -Laghu, Teekshna ( Seed Snigdha)
Veerya: – Ushna
Vipaka: – Katu.
- Garbhashaya Samkochana
- Arthava janana
- Vrana Ropana
- Nadi poustika – balya (seeds)
- Pichhila (Leaf juice)
- Yakrt uthechaka
- Stanya Janana
- Matra Janana
- Vishama jwaraghna
- Kastartava – Nastartava (Root)
- Stanya Kshaya (seeds) Pradara
- Klihatva (Seeds)
- Mutra Krcchra (Seeds & leaves juice)
- Daha Shrama – bhranti murcha
- Sitajvara (Seed)
- Vibandha (Seed)
- Pravahika (Leaf Juice)
- Yakrt Vikara Kamala (Flowers)
- Unmada – Apasmara (Seeds)
- Manasa Roga (Flowers)
- Dourbalya (Seeds)
- Pandu (Leaves)
- Sandhi Vata – Sirosula
- Vrana – Ksata
The drug Karpasa is an aphrodiasic astringent diuretic emmenogogue and febrifuge. It is in all types of Uterus disorders anaemia, genito – urinary disease inflammation of poisoning of dhattura or dhatura and snake bite.
The drug is useful in different types of Uterus disorders anaemia genito – urinary diseases inflammation and poisons in various forms and modes by different parts at plant drug, besides internal uses of plant the cotton is applied as dressing material in Surgical and other ailments.
Vandhya – Its fruit paste is mixed with milk and given for Seven days
Kasa – Karpasathi (Seed coat of Karpasa) and Asvagandha are given as fumigation.
- Karna puya
- Karna nada
- Mutra Krcchra
- Karpasatyadi taila
- Decoction : 50 – 100 ml
- Seed Powder : 3 – 6 gm
Colouring matter (gosypiol) and starch effect on Tridosha pacifies Vata and Pitta.
The research on cotton conducted by ICAR through CICR Nagpur and its regional stations and various Saus showed satisfactory achievements on the following major aspects.
- Avalability of huge collection of widely germ plasm accession in the National cotton Gene bank.
- A well-established research net work
- Availability of highly trained scientific man power
- All the four cultivated specifies of cotton are grown commercially
- Commercialization of hybrid cotton including inter and intra specific hybrids.
- Success in R & D efforts changed the countries position in cotton map of the world from net importer of cotton to net exporter of cotton.
- Availability of huge untapped potential in the form of stress resistant G.arboreum cotton for future Varieties /hybrids development programe