Kushta – Saussuria lappa C B Clarke – Ayurvedic Herb
- The drug kushta has been mentioned in veda’s.
- It is claimed to cure several diseases and posses the properties like Rasayana, vrushya and krimigna.
- It is specifically mentioned as tamaka nashaka(antipyretic).
- It is climed to posses aroma and important among all the herb, it is used for dhupa.
- It is agrya aushadhi for upanaha and abhyanga.
- And it is used as substitute for tagara.
SYNONYMS AND INTERPRETATION
- Cures vata rogas.
- Its root spreads deep in soil and the plant remain firmly fixed.
- Grows mainly in kashmira.
- It grows near water sources and great altitudes.
- It flowers resemble those of lotus in shape.
- It brings about dasha paka or roga paka easily.
- It effectively conquer many disease.
- Found near wells.
- It relieves man from many diseases.
- English:- Kuth, costus.
- Hindi:- kuta, kura.
- Kannada:- koshta.
- Malayalam:- kottam simakkottam.
- Telugu:- changluva-koshtu.
- Tamil:- koshtam.
- Powder : 1-2 gm.
- Essential oil.
- Dehydro costuhactone.
- isodihydro costuhactone.
- Rasa:- tikta, katu, Madhura.
- Guna:- lagu, ruksha, thikshana.
- Veerya:- ushna.
- Vipaka:- katu.
- Doshagnatha:- vata, kaphahara.
- Parshva shoda.
Kushta:- dhanyaka and kushta churna is applied as lepa.
Arumshika:- kushta is roasted on mud pan till it become back, than it is powdered and strained through a cloth, this is applied on scalp with oil.
Mukhakhanthi vardanaratha:- nimbi swarasa and kushta lepa for 7 days along with honey.
Amurshika:- erandamula and kushta in equal part are applied on scalp.
- Delocalized oil and some lactone fractions of the oil exhibit hypotensive, spasmolytic and brochodilatory effect (chopra,1,958, dutta,1960).
- Anthlmintic activity of sassurea lappa was established by kokate , in 1986.
- It is a powder enhanced the aortic prostaglandin, example like activity in experimental rabbits (dwiredi et al 1987).
- 5 new amino acid sesquiterpene adducts,sausurecemines A.B.C.D.E.F were isolated from the root.(yoshikawa et al,1993)
- The aqueous extract was administered orally and the effect was compared to cofiibrate. The lipid lowering properly was highly significant(p>0.001). (upadhyay,1994).
- It has shown significant effect in reducing blood sugar level of obese diabeties.
- Kushtadi churna.
- Kushtadi thaila.
- Kushta rasayana.
- Kushtadi kvatha.
- Kushtadi prakapa