Sinusitis Ayurvedic Treatment
Healthy sinuses are filled with air. Sinusitis is an inflammation or swelling of the tissue lining the sinuses. But when the Sinus become blocked and filled with fluid, germs can grow and cause an infection.
Conditions that can cause sinus blockage include:
- Allergic rhinitis, which is swelling of the lining of the nose
- Small growths in the lining of the nose called nasal polyps
- A deviated septum, which is a shift in the nasal cavity
- Swelling inside the nose like from a common cold
- Blocked drainage ducts
- Structural differences that narrow those ducts
- Immune system deficiencies or medications that suppress the immune system
For children, things that can cause sinusitis include:
- Illnesses from other kids at day care or school
- Bottle drinking while lying on the back
- Smoke in the environment
Types of Sinusitis
- Acute sinusitis usually starts with coldlike symptoms such as a runny, stuffy nose and facial pain. It may start suddenly and last 2-4 weeks.
- Subacute sinus inflammation usually lasts 4 to 12 weeks.
- Chronic inflammation symptoms last 12 weeks or longer.
- Recurrent sinusitis happens several times a year.
- Acute sinusitis: Severe headache, facial pain, heaviness of head, pain over involved sinuses, fever, nasal stuffiness, may associated with thick yellow or green nasal discharge, symptoms may last for 10 to 14 days.
- Subacute sinusitis: Moderate Headache which disturb regular activity, heaviness of forehead, pain around involved sinus, Nasal stuffiness and may associate with yellowish or greenish mucus discharge.
- Chronic Sinusitis: Symptoms same as subacute but in less severe form, may associate with yellowish or greenish mucus discharge, Halitosis, post nasal drip and the symptoms last for more than 3 months.
Investigations: X-ray, CT scan, Nasal endoscopy
Avoid or restrain from the causative factors like
- Avoid Kaphakara aharas(Snigdha, sheeta, pichila and kledayukta)like ice cream, curds, milk, banana, oily, fried, Chinese and junk foods.
- Avoid fruits especially in the night when you are suffering from sinusitis.
- Avoid excessive drinking of water, drink only warm water when you feel thirst.
- Food should be processed with Turmeric, Pepper and Ginger.
- Avoid head bath and oil application.
- Avoid day sleep, Suppression of natural urges.
- Don’t directly expose to Air-condition, fan or sitting close to a window while travelling in an open vehicle.
- Steam inhalation twice daily, the water may have camphor or few drops of Eucalyptus oil.
- Warm compress over affected part gives relief from pain and heaviness.
Ayurveda Treatment concept:
- Kaphaja shirashoola chikitsa.
- In Pitta and Raktadusti associated condition according to prakopa of anubhanda dosha.
In Acute Sinusitis (Kaphaja) treatments like Mukhabhyanga, Swedana helps to vilayana of kapha and Nasya with swarasa like gudardraka nasya which does the shirorechana. Avoid sneha nasya in acute stage, it will worsen the condition. Internal medicine should be kapha pachana, lekhana and srotoshodhana.
In Chronic sinusitis kapha will be in ruksha and leena stage, so the aim of treatment should be kapha vilayana by snehana and swedana followed by Nasya with shirovirechana sneha nasya like Shadbindu taila or Anutaila.
1. Mukhabhyanga: Karpoora taila
2. Swedana: Nadi sweda or steam inhalation( Hot water with eucalyptus oil few drops and camphor)
- Gudardraka nasya(Guda 4 pinch+Ardraka swarasa1 teaspoon, Dose: 4 to 6 drops each nostril after proper snehana and swedana).
- Ardraka swarasanasya( Ardrakaswarasa 1teaspoon+Milk 1teaspoon)
Snehanasya: 1 Anutaila 2.Shadbindu taila
- Rasnadi Churna: External application with warm water or lemon juice.
- Kacchoradi Churna: External application along with warm water over effected sinus.
- Varunadi Kashayam (Kapha vatahara)
- Amruthothara (Kapha vatahara, pachana, kaphanulomaka – Useful in Acute stage)
- Dashamoola katutraya( Sub acute and chronic stage)
- Guggulutiktakam kashayam
- Shirovirechaniya Gana Kashayam
- In acute Headache Pathyadi Shadanagam Kashayam + Varunadi Kashayam
- In acute Headache Pathyadi Shadanagam Kashayam + Dashamoola Kattuttraya
- Talisadi churna(Kaphavatahara, lekhana)
- Sitopaladi churna(Pittakaphahara)
- Laghu Sutshekhara mishrana(Pittakaphahara, ruksha, Sinusitis associated with thin discharge)
- Trikatu churna(Kaphahara, Lekhana, Srotoshodhana)
- Rasnadi Choorna(Mixed with lemon and applied over the sinusitis affected areas)
- Triphala guggulu
- Kaishora guggulu(Pitta and raktanubhanda condition)
- Kanchanara guggulu(Kaphahara)
- Mrityunjaya rasa
- Tribuvana keerthi rasa
- Naradiya laxmi vilasa rasa
- In Headache due to Sinus – Surya Prabha Gulika
- Vyoshadi vattakam
- Vettumaran gulika
- Kamaduga rasa
- Gandaka rasayana
- Agatsya rasayana
- Shatphala gritha: Useful in chronic sinusitis with Vatakaphanubanda condition.