Vedic literature extensively quoted sirisha among the Santa vraksas. It is considered as one of the best plants for Danta Kasthas(tooth brushes).
Though charaka enumerated sirisa under vishaghna vedanasthapana, sirovirechana & kashaya groups, he emphasized vishagna property. Recent works prove that albezininis found to be an universal anti dote.
Bhavamisra described pancavalkala as pancha vraksas. Among the fire trees parisha is omitted by few scholar & sirisa or vetasa is accepted instead.
Sirisa: – A beautiful tree to look at
Bhandil – That which brings happiness
Kapithana – Grows widely
Shukapushpa – Flowers liked by parrots
Shukataru – The leaves resemble the colour of the parrot
Mrudupushpa – The flowers are tender & soft
Shukapriya – Liked by parrot
Supushpaka- The flowers are beautiful
Lomashapushpaka – The flowers are pubescent
Vishahantha – Antidote for the poisons
Vruntapushpa – having round flowers
Shukabhapushpa – Flowers are like by parrots
Vishapaha – That which removes poison.
There are various species or albezzia viz., Albezzia odoratissima Benth.Albezzia procera Benth & Albezzia lucido benth. Sveda sirisa, botanically known as Albezzia procera also mention in classical compendia.
- SANSKRIT » Sirisa
- HINDI » Sirisa
- ENGLISH » Lebbeck tree
- KANNADA » Begemara
- MALAYALAM » Vaka
- TAMIL » Vakai
- TELUGU » Dirisena
- Churna – 3-6 gms
- Decoction – 5- -100ml
- Fresh juice – 10-20 ml
Major chemical constituents – albigenin , albizlagenin , albegenic acid, saponins, lebekkanins etc.
- Bark :-
Condensed tannin viz, D-catechin , lebbecacidin, (-) melacacidin etc. fredecon , B-sitosterol
- Heart wood :-
Lebbecacidin , leucopelargodin , melacacidin, melanoxetin ,
okanin (+) pinitol.
- Seeds: – Proteins , aminoacids.
- Flowers: – Benzyl alcohol , benzok acid , P-nitro-benzoate etc.
- Leaves: – Caffric acid , k aempterol , myricirin, reynounin etc.
Kashaya , Tiktha , Madhura
Lagu , Ruksha , Thikshna
- Sharpavisha :– Sveda maricha soaked in sirisa flower juice for 7 days is used for nasya , pana& Anjana (c.s.ut 33)
- Suryavarta & Ardhavabhedaka :- Nasya of the seeds or sirisa & Mulaka may be useful(s.s ut 26)
- Kushta :- Paste of the bark of sirisa is useful (A.H.ut 19).
- Antiasthmatic, in skin diseases, antihistaminic, in night blindness, diarrhoea, piles , as tonic.
- Root Bark: – in powder form used to sireg therns the gums.
- Bark & seeds :- Asirin given in piles & diarrhoea.
- Leaves: – In night blindness gum, sapanin & Tanin.
- Plant: – In snake bite & scorpion sting.
Anti-inflammatory, analgesics, antibiotic, beneficial to complexion & beneficial to eyes. So used in inflammation, Lymphadenopathy etc. seed paste is applied in kusta-dermatosis & in wounds, bark paste is applied.
- In tooth ache & looseness of tooth gargling with bark decoction is done. In eye disease especially in night blindness, leaf juice/ decoction is droped in the eyes.
- Rubbed seeds are also used in eyes for application.
- It is also applied externally in various types of poisoning
Digestive system: – Astrignent, but in high doses vomiting occurs. Bark powder gives strength to the gums.
CirculatorySystem: – Purifies blood, anti-inflammatory, useful in blood disease, herpes, inflammation
Skin :- In dermatoses, seed powder is used.
Satmikaran :- Antitoxic. In organic & inorganic poisoning, bark decoction or seed powder are used
Reproductive system :- It is virilizing , in poor , semen quality, seed powder with milk is given for virilization., flowers are used for delaying ejaculation.
The alcoholic extract of the roots was found to posseses anti-cancer activity against sarcoma 180 in mice.The stem bark of the plant had hypoglycemic activity in albino rats. The pods possessed anti protosoal activity against Ent.histolytica. It also showed hypoglyceamic activity in albino rats & anti cancer activity in human epidermal carcinoma of the nasopharynx in tissue culture.(Dhar –etal; 1968).
- Biochemical finding along with the histochemical picture of the adrenal medulla of the guinea pigs suggest that simultaneous administration of A.lebbeck along with tylophorine & mangostin reduces the release of carecholamine in response to histamine(Tripathreral . 1983)
- Saponins showed Beta-heamolysis against buffer & sheep blood & alpha-haemolysis against human blood, purified saponin showed antifungal activity against macro phomina phascolina. stemphillem species & Jusarium colani (vet.J.1990). Saponin fraction & seed extract of plant significantly reduced the number of ruptured master cells, in both mesenteric bits & peritoneal fluid obtained from sensitized rats & this effect was identical in both types of systemic anaphylaxis(end.J physiol pharmacol 1985).
- Aquous extracts or both stem bark & flowers significantly reduced bronchospasm induced by microaerosals acid phosphate & acetylcholine chloride inguinea pig bronchi . In another study sirisa has shown a significant disodium cromoglycale-like activity on the mast cells. The mast decoction significantly reduced the blood sugar content of the fasting rats on 7 days administration.
- Panchasirisha Grutha
- Dasanga lepa
- Vajraka taila
- Brhanmaricyadi taila
- Mahashirish agad